2nd Year Syndrome

AmericanHistoryX

Can some one care to shed some light on this subject. I have my own thoughts on it but I would love to what you all believe or think it is.

I believe it has more to do with teams not knowing as an example Bula's strengths when he came into First Grade this year and now that they have seen him play he would be on most coaches sheets about how to try and nullify his strengths and exploit his areas of improvement.

Players just need to adapt to the extra attention they will get if they have excelled and if they can such as Tedesco did, then you don't have a second year syndrome. Unfortunately some don't and it gets written up as that by the vultures in the NRL media ranks.

I believe it has more to do with teams not knowing as an example Bula's strengths when he came into First Grade this year and now that they have seen him play he would be on most coaches sheets about how to try and nullify his strengths and exploit his areas of improvement.

Players just need to adapt to the extra attention they will get if they have excelled and if they can such as Tedesco did, then you don't have a second year syndrome. Unfortunately some don't and it gets written up as that by the vultures in the NRL media ranks.
Makes total sense Sully. Its not the actual player but the other teams now knowing his strengths and weaknesses. Blows my theory out of the park. Thank you for the insight. Just makes total sense.

It tends to apply more to players who aren't particularly good - have a single breakout debut season and go downhill from there.

Two prime examples are Daniel Mortimer in 2009 and Tim Smith in 2005

You can analyse players and know what they are going to do but if you're an elite player there is nothing you can do about it. Being elite you are very well rounded and opponents won't be able to exploit the "weaknesses" in their game.

You can analyse players and know what they are going to do but if you're an elite player there is nothing you can do about it. Being elite you are very well rounded and opponents won't be able to exploit the "weaknesses" in their game.
Agreed 100% elite is elite. It can come down to other team members being injured and the added impact that has on your team and personal form. Loss of form can also happen if your injured, thus there are many contributing factors. I hope that was the case with Olam last year and he has a fantastic 2024 and beyond with us.

Exactly...
otherwise they'll just watch reruns of themselves on youtube.

Last edited:

Members online

Back