LIVE GAME 2023 Trial 1: Wests Tigers v Warriors

Live Game Discussion
Ok, this is my 10 cents worth on the first trial. No matter how you spin the circumstances, it was disappointing. Yes, there were a number of inexperienced, underdone players in the team and, based on that fact, you would expect them to lose. But by a score line of 48-12? The Warriors were a more seasoned team but not by much. I didn't see a lot of urgency out there and the defense was diabolical with no line speed and woeful reads from the outside backs. Basically, the game was handed to the Warriors via forced passes, missed tackles and an overall, complete lack of cohesion. To be honest, they looked like a team thrown together just before kick off. There were a few positives, those being Stefano's impressive charges, Tumeth's strong debut and a couple of impressive flashes by Bula. Yes, it was only a trial and yes, there were only few first graders on show but, still, it was disappointing. Also, I didn't check today's trial scores, but I'm pretty sure it was the heaviest loss of the weekend.
Final comment, there's no way Tommy Talau should be chosen in the team for the first round and it worries me that someone said Benji likes him. I have never seen a glimmer of the prodigious talent he has supposed to have shown in the juniors. Can't beat a tackle and clueless in defence.

Last edited:
Final comment, there's no way Tommy Talau should be chosen in the team for the first round and it worries me that someone said Benjy likes him. I have never seen a glimmer of the prodigious talent he has supposed to have shown in the juniors. Can't beat a tackle and clueless in defence.

Him and Blore are so so so overrated. They need to prove themselves in reserves and get game time prior to any talk about them being first graders.

Most Metres vs Warriors #NRLTrial

Staines - 131 (14 runs)
Pole - 128 (12)
Utoikamanu - 127 (11)
Seyfarth - 113 (13)
James - 98 (11)
Staines's stats are disgraceful given the free meters he should get from kick returns - even if it was a half. Pole and Stefano average over 10 a hit up, the rest off the list didn't

Staines's stats are disgraceful given the free meters he should get from kick returns - even if it was a half. Pole and Stefano average over 10 a hit up, the rest off the list didn't

Like cmon disgraceful? 130 odd mtrs in 40mins isn’t a disgrace. Only Stef & Pole made more post contact meters.

Staines stats aren’t disgraceful. He was miles better stats wise than any other back including Bula who is meant to be the next generational fullback.

Like cmon disgraceful? 130 odd mtrs in 40mins isn’t a disgrace. Only Stef & Pole made more post contact meters.

Staines stats aren’t disgraceful. He was miles better stats wise than any other back including Bula who is meant to be the next generational fullback.
how many hit ups?he seemed to be running back inside all the time ,in stead of ?

14 hitups for 131mtrs and 45 post contact @ 9.4mtrs a hitup isn’t disgraceful.
It’s pretty bloody good actually. By comparison our win against the Broncos which we could all probably agree was a good win only one player (KM) ran for more than 131mtrs over 80minutes (171) our fullback ran for 100mtrs over 80minutes. Staines was ok, not brilliant but willing to do the shit work.

Ok, this is my 10 cents worth on the first trial. No matter how you spin the circumstances, it was disappointing. Yes, there were a number of inexperienced, underdone players in the team and, based on that fact, you would expect them to lose. But by a score line of 48-12? The Warriors were a more seasoned team but not by much. I didn't see a lot of urgency out there and the defense was diabolical with no line speed and woeful reads from the outside backs. Basically, the game was handed to the Warriors via forced passes, missed tackles and an overall, complete lack of cohesion. To be honest, they looked like a team thrown together just before kick off. There were a few positives, those being Stefano's impressive charges, Tumeth's strong debut and a couple of impressive flashes by Bula. Yes, it was only a trial and yes, there were only few first graders on show but, still, it was disappointing. Also, I didn't check today's trial scores, but I'm pretty sure it was the heaviest loss of the weekend.
Final comment, there's no way Tommy Talau should be chosen in the team for the first round and it worries me that someone said Benji likes him. I have never seen a glimmer of the prodigious talent he has supposed to have shown in the juniors. Can't beat a tackle and clueless in defence.

This response shows what the over coverage of trails by fox will do.

With their coverage they may as well start Rd 1 in Feb.

I want Kepaoa to start tbh.

Looked very strong on Thursday and defended well.

Prefer him to Talau and To’a at this stage, and Naden will be the other centre.
Didn't we let in 9 tries playing a warriors side with half their side reserve graders . So was our team but I'm not saying anyone gets top marks however I believe Stephano is a top class forward

Didn't we let in 9 tries playing a warriors side with half their side reserve graders . So was our team but I'm not saying anyone gets top marks however I believe Stephano is a top class forward
Kepaoa was at fault for none of those nine tries and defended well when he was on.

Ran strong too.

Just saying who I’d prefer to play centre with Naden in Round 1.

Kepaoa was at fault for none of those nine tries and defended well when he was on.

Ran strong too.

Just saying who I’d prefer to play centre with Naden in Round 1.
I guess I'm influenced by a couple of games last year vs cowboys and dragons where he missed tackles and just stood there no chase at all
I must admit I'm not sure about our centers .I think its our weakest link
I was hoping for Naden and Douehi but can't see Adam giving up the No 6 spot

I guess I'm influenced by a couple of games last year vs cowboys and dragons where he missed tackles and just stood there no chase at all
I must admit I'm not sure about our centers .I think its our weakest link
I was hoping for Naden and Douehi but can't see Adam giving up the No 6 spot
I don't think Adam has earned the 6 spot to give it up yet.

I seriously hope that he comes out and grabs the spot by the scruff of the neck and cements it as his.

However, if his defence and attention span haven't improved he may well find himself at centre a few rounds into the season!

I'm keen to see how Daino goes at 6 this weekend - I trust Mr Sheens is keen for a look too. He is probably first choice at the back - but good to see what options we have going forward.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

I don't think Adam has earned the 6 spot to give it up yet.

He hasn't but I think he is easily the best option that we have right now. The question is will he prove himself to be a quality NRL half this year. If not he needs a reduced contract and time in a position (maybe centre but maybe backrow) to get his game together.

Members online

Back