2022 RLWC

What do you see as their weakness?

They are a better team than England and probably equal to or better than NZ because of having about equal forward pack and better outside backs. Maybe they will get smashed by Australia, but on paper they're as good as any of the other teams.

You get three hitups every set from To'o, May and sualii, as good as any team has ever fielded in terms of backs making metres up the middle, you have premier props in Paulo and papalii, you have class of luai controlling attack and an attacking brand of football emphasising 2nd phase play that troubled Australia when they played NZ. A more disciplined effort today and Samoa would have won comfortably, they were by far the better side. Their only weakness is at half and hooker, and their players there aren't massive liabilities.

Sure, Australia is the best team in this world cup, but Samoa are no flukes in this final and are as good a challenge as any other. Australia will win if their defensive line can control Samoan ruck speed and if their more mobile forwards play off each other through the middle targetting halfback-centre space of the Samoans. But I can also see Samoas dynamic forward pack opening the game up for luai to create magic.

It would be the culmination of taumalolo's brave decision to join Tonga if that comes off. I don't see why you are dismissing Samoa
The defence in the Kangaroo v Kiwi game was so far superior to that of the England v Samoa game that they could have been playing different sports. Joining the Samosa hype train is akin to watching Penrith lose to Storm on friday night by 1 point and then watching St George beat Warriors on the Saturday and claiming the Dragons would upset the Panthers the following week based upon that form.
Miracles can happen in this game, but seriously....Cleary, Munster, Mitchell and Tedesco have done bugger all this tournament considering their usual impact. All 4 of them will have to be kept quiet for a Samoa win. Smart money says Australia win 24+

I also think its funny that people are claiming a Samoa win will be great for international Rugby league. The Samoan squad is a combination of Australian and New Zealand nationals who have elected to play for another country. Unlike many nations who are fielding genuine citizens of that country, Samoa is jam packed with mercenaries.

Sua'ali'i = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.
May = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.
Crichton = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to Australia before he was school age. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Lafai = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to Australia when he was 9. Raised and educated in Sydney.
To'o = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.
Luai = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.
Milford = Born, raised, educated in Brisbane - He is Australian.
Paulo = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a teenager. - He is a New Zealander.
Brown = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a teenager - He is a New Zealander.
Hunt = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.
Sao = Born, raised, educated in Auckland - He is a New Zealander.
Su'a = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a 2 yr old. Raised and educated in Brisbane - He is an Australian, if not, a New Zealander.
Kaufusi = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was young. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Papali'i = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was 5 yrs old. Raised and educated in Logan.
Leniu = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was 5 yrs old. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Harris-Tavita = Born, raised, educated in Auckland - He is a New Zealander.
Tuilagi = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to New Zealand when he was young. Raised and educated in Auckland.
Sio = Born, raised, educated in Sydney - He is Australian.

Out of their semi final squad of 18,:
7 are genuine Australians, born and raised
4 are genuine Kiwis, born and raised
5 others moved to Australia as either toddlers or preschoolers
Only 2 have genuine claims to have been born and raised in Samoa and even then, they were only raised there before middle school age before relocating.

I find it somewhat amusing that they are all crowing about their Samoan pride with no mention of the actual countries that made them who they are.
Anyway...carry on.

I also think its funny that people are claiming a Samoa win will be great for international Rugby league. The Samoan squad is a combination of Australian and New Zealand nationals who have elected to play for another country. Unlike many nations who are fielding genuine citizens of that country, Samoa is jam packed with mercenaries.

Crichton = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to Australia before he was school age. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Lafai = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to Australia when he was 9. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Paulo = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a teenager. - He is a New Zealander.
Brown = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a teenager - He is a New Zealander.
Su'a = Genuine New Zealander who moved to Australia as a 2 yr old. Raised and educated in Brisbane - He is an Australian, if not, a New Zealander.
Kaufusi = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was young. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Papali'i = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was 5 yrs old. Raised and educated in Logan.
Leniu = Genuine New Zealander, whose family came to Australia when he was 5 yrs old. Raised and educated in Sydney.
Tuilagi = Genuine Samoan, whose family came to New Zealand when he was young. Raised and educated in Auckland.

Only 2 have genuine claims to have been born and raised in Samoa and even then, they were only raised there before middle school age before relocating.

I find it somewhat amusing that they are all crowing about their Samoan pride with no mention of the actual countries that made them who they are.
Anyway...carry on.
I’m still going for Samoa 🇼🇸

As I watched some of the Australia v New Zealand game, I thought to myself, gee the ref doesn't want the Kiwis to win this one.
Then I learn in this morning's news that the NZ team was booked to fly out straight after the game...

"New Zealand captain Jesse Bromwich blasted World Cup organisers for being "disrespectful" after it was revealed the Kiwis had been pre-booked to fly out of England the day after their semi-final.

The forecast by World Cup officials that New Zealand would not qualify for the final came to fruition in a 16-14 defeat to Australia on Saturday (AEDT), but the Kiwis are ropeable at the presumptuous call to book their flight home from Manchester.

Bromwich vented at the decision as he addressed the media following New Zealand's semi-final exit at Leeds' Elland Road."
He could’ve easily missed the flight if he and his mate Smith aimed up

/\bit of a downer imo /\
What would have been ideal for the growth of the game would have been an English victory at home. They have had huge television interest over there and if they became world champions it would have most certainly aided there efforts to cut into the rugby union market of the northern hemisphere. A Samoan or Australian victory achieves far less on this front.
This was the code's chance to grow international football and unfortunately due to the general round cricket scores and the GF featuring Australia A v Australia/NZ B...it has failed. A lot of work is required as the game hasnt progressed internationally since 2017.

Anyway...carry on.
Good argument but if players didn't sign up for their heritage team there wouldn't be a World Cup,... or at least a semi competitive one.

Good argument but if players didn't sign up for their heritage team there wouldn't be a World Cup,... or at least a semi competitive one.
The competitive nature of this world cup has slightly improved due to these players joining other nations, that is true. However that really isnt improving the international game is it? I mean how many of these guys will put their hands up to be a Kangaroo once this WC has finished? At least the Fijian, PNG and to some extent Lebanon squads contained citizens of those countries who got to experience a month and a half of what its like to be professional footballers, living and training with genuine star players and taking that invaluable experience back home to inspire and encourage others. The Samoan and Tongan squads on the other hand, has been somewhat hijacked by Ozzy's and Kiwis who will rep them this tournament and not provide the same level of mentorship mentioned before. Additionally, some of the younger ones may never play for them again as they are good enough to stand up in these current Kangaroo or Kiwi lineups that will be seeking youth injection over the next couple of years.

IF all of these players drop out of Origin and just concentrate on making Samoa and Tonga tier 1 powerhouses than I would consider that a victory. Lets see what happens as I have no doubt guys like Sua'ali'i and To'o will be a Kangaroos as early as 2024.

The beauty of sport is that sometimes it doesn't go the way we want it to go

You can't put development strategies in place based on perceived results

Did you back the Poms?
Obviously you cannot do as you said, but that is not what Im arguing either. The over the top jingoism from the Samoan camp amuses me.
No. I backed Australia, however England at home v Australia would have generated massive interest in that region. Samoa v Australia will be less so by quite a margin.

Danny Levi ruled himself out because he had family matters to attend to.

Now Samoa's back up #9 Famanu Brown has been ruled out after an ugly head knock causing concussion in the last round.

Now Samoa's back up #9 Famanu Brown has been ruled out after an ugly head knock causing concussion in the last round.

Bad luck for Brown( and Samoa), would have been a career highlight. Not to be.

Won't make a difference anyway. Aust will pump them

Back