My new pet peeve - second tackles

jirskyr

I have a new pet peeve - something I would have called "second tackles" in the old days.

Anyone paying attention to Shaun Johnson last weekend may have noticed that, when his team was in possession early in a set, he would follow the ball-carrier and push into his player as soon as they made contact with the defender. This causes the general momentum of the tackle to increase in the forward direction, at the disadvantage of the defenders, because there are now 2 player weights being applied in the forward direction.

This is a "lite" version of rugby's maul and it is not permitted. You are only permitted to "lend weight" to an attacker who is being driven back by the defence, at which point the referee is immediately to call held.

Rugby League rules, Section 11 (2) (a) notes

Moving tackled player 2. (a) Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call “Held”.

NRL interpretations 2020:

Lending Weight It is permissible for a player to ‘lend weight to a teammate in possession in order to avoid losing ground’. Section 11 (2) (a) notes 1 . It is not permissible for the player lending weight to impede a defender from making the tackle 2 . The Referee will take into account any momentum the tackle has already generated.

To take this style of play to an extreme, imagine two Tigers players involved in every hit-up, and the minute the ball-carrier hits the line, the second player drives in with outstretched palms (to push), or even more provocatively, places their shoulder into the forward effort. Now imagine 2 or 3 players doing this. Now imagine a wedge of players doing this (a rugby maul). These are all clearly illegal plays, but paring it down to a single player providing forward momentum, it's still illegal.

I counted Shaun Johnson did this perhaps 30 times in the entire match, and it wasn't just that his back 3 were willing to attack at speed, but Johnson interfered with the attempted tackles several times every set. Because in fairness to the Tigers, they dealt fairly well with Montoya and DWZ taking big wind-ups, and arguably dominated them earlier in the first half.

It needs to be policed by refs.

I have a new pet peeve - something I would have called "second tackles" in the old days.

Anyone paying attention to Shaun Johnson last weekend may have noticed that, when his team was in possession early in a set, he would follow the ball-carrier and push into his player as soon as they made contact with the defender. This causes the general momentum of the tackle to increase in the forward direction, at the disadvantage of the defenders, because there are now 2 player weights being applied in the forward direction.

This is a "lite" version of rugby's maul and it is not permitted. You are only permitted to "lend weight" to an attacker who is being driven back by the defence, at which point the referee is immediately to call held.

Moving tackled player 2. (a) Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call “Held”.

Lending Weight It is permissible for a player to ‘lend weight to a teammate in possession in order to avoid losing ground’. Section 11 (2) (a) notes 1 . It is not permissible for the player lending weight to impede a defender from making the tackle 2 . The Referee will take into account any momentum the tackle has already generated.

To take this style of play to an extreme, imagine two Tigers players involved in every hit-up, and the minute the ball-carrier hits the line, the second player drives in with outstretched palms (to push), or even more provocatively, places their shoulder into the forward effort. Now imagine 2 or 3 players doing this. Now imagine a wedge of players doing this (a rugby maul). These are all clearly illegal plays, but paring it down to a single player providing forward momentum, it's still illegal.

I counted Shaun Johnson did this perhaps 30 times in the entire match, and it wasn't just that his back 3 were willing to attack at speed, but Johnson interfered with the attempted tackles several times every set. Because in fairness to the Tigers, they dealt fairly well with Montoya and DWZ taking big wind-ups, and arguably dominated them earlier in the first half.

It won't change until Uncle Nick has a whinge to the NRL on the quiet

Interesting, will have to check out the replay. I literally fell asleep during that match and when I woke up it was 22 - 2

I mentioned the same issue to my wife when watching the game and sometimes in possession there was more than one Warriors player pushing the Warriors attacking player and trying to nullify the impact of the Tiger's players making the tackle. This was happening time and time again in the early hit ups in each Warriors set so as to ensure the Warrior's tackled player was not being pushed back and was in a better position for a quick play the ball once the tackled was completed. For the life of me I don't know whey the Tigers didn't complain about this as the Warriors were gaining an unfair advantage.

I have been watching this and waiting to see who noticed it first. Knowing that it would be an nrl fan first and not the nrl refs applying the rules correctly. Why does it take the fans? This is not a new rule, It’s a rule that should have been policed numerous times during the game and many others over the last year or so.
It’s been my latest annoyance too.
Sounds like I’m having a rant so I will stop.

Like every annoying minor issue, the NRL had a crackdown on this a couple of years back. It went for 4 or 5 rounds, didn't curb any behaviour whatsoever, so they just simply gave up.
It's a bit pathetic, but emblematic of the way the game is run.

Tigers should do it every tackle until the NRL gets involved. Obviously however if you push someone over the try line they'll probably rule "no try".

I did email the NRL with my comments, but who knows where that leads...

Tigers should do it every tackle until the NRL gets involved. Obviously however if you push someone over the try line they'll probably rule "no try".

It would take us doing it once for the refs to act on it...

Comment meet sand. Sand is the new complaint department keeper just shuffle your way in there. You won’t get lonely

I think you are alowed to "drive" someone over the try line but if your finger tips touch an opposition player, it's a driver penalty.

As Ink said, Penrith do it consistently. Don't get me wrong, they are the best team of the comp but they constantly get men in tackles when attacking, they walk off the mark a lot, they push the markers sideways.. Luai is the absolute worst at that. As Bennett said last year, Ivan used to be the referee's boss so he knows what he can get away with.

I enjoy Manly play. Lots of support runners and when they're defending they usually only get two men in tackle and they aim to get to marker. If they don't, they run with one marker. Gives up more territory but the defensive line is always thick.

Don't think you need to point to or single out Johnson on the matter, as it was obvious from the kick-off and the subsequent hit ups in the very first set.

Multiple players were assisting and up to three at a time. Surely WT will do the same unless there is an edict banning it this week.

Staff online

Back