Bears vs Knights 1997

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Fade To Black

Bears vs Knights 1997

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:31 pm

Just finished watching the replay on Fox of Norths vs Newcastle in the Preliminary Final of 1997. What a brilliant game that was, it had everything that you want in a game.
Magnificent players such as Joey, Chief, Butterfield, Florimo, Fairleigh, Larson, Seers and our own JT. Darren Albert pulling off a length of the field chase on Seers and tackling him into touch within millimetres of the tryline. Brutal defence, rain and mud, close score, daylight game it was so bloody enjoyable to watch!
And NO WRESTLING in every tackle, a variety of attacking plays instead of today's usual trundle up for 5 and then hoist up a speculative bomb, no waiting for 4 minutes after every try before a supporter can truly celebrate it.
Brilliant!
That game would have haunted JT for the rest of his career unfortunately, he missed 2 or 3 goals that he would normally have eaten up.

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:48 pm

Yeh, just caught the last 10 minutes. I think he missed all 3 conversion and a penalty. Then to watch Matty Johns put over a field goal to win 13-12 would have been a killer.

Post by 851 » Wed 11 May, 2016 3:06 pm

Fade To Black wrote:Just finished watching the replay on Fox of Norths vs Newcastle in the Preliminary Final of 1997. What a brilliant game that was, it had everything that you want in a game.
Magnificent players such as Joey, Chief, Butterfield, Florimo, Fairleigh, Larson, Seers and our own JT. Darren Albert pulling off a length of the field chase on Seers and tackling him into touch within millimetres of the tryline. Brutal defence, rain and mud, close score, daylight game it was so bloody enjoyable to watch!
And NO WRESTLING in every tackle, a variety of attacking plays instead of today's usual trundle up for 5 and then hoist up a speculative bomb, no waiting for 4 minutes after every try before a supporter can truly celebrate it.
Brilliant!
That game would have haunted JT for the rest of his career unfortunately, he missed 2 or 3 goals that he would normally have eaten up.
I watched it to, it was a great game, but JT missed an early goal, then missed the one at 8 - 12 down, but the really bad miss was at 12 - 12 with about 3 minutes remaining, cost norths a grand final spot.
Go hard or go home

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 11 May, 2016 4:33 pm

Norths had a great consistent side in the '90s- made something like 4 Preliminary Final's in 6 or so years I think I heard the commentators say. They just could never take that final step and at least make the GF. Used to always like the Bears, wouldn't have minded seeing them win a title.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Thu 12 May, 2016 10:25 am

A memory that will last forever is the Albert chasing down Seers tackle, one of the greatest I've seen

Still got me beat how Norths never won a comp with the team they had, they were over the cap by 5 million and went broke because of that but still had a great team.