Wests Tigers Forum A community of Wests Tigers fans

Alex McKinnon

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion

Members have more fun!
Join other fans to share news, opinions and excitement about all things Wests Tigers!
Click here to register and make this ad go away

by sheer64 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:57 pm

I hope he is alright and fully recovers.

The problem is there were a number of tackles similar in the match that did not result in injury and no penalty, or a just a normal penalty, was given for these so eventually one causes a major problem. The referees should be protecting the players from this type of tacking technique and penalising the players involved. In fact the player who places his hand between the legs before lifting should be marched if they want to stop this from happening in the future. There will be incidents of lifting tackles where players are injured without the tackling players placing a hand between the players legs, but these need to be adjudicated individually. For the ones where it is a clear cut, send them off.
We worry so much about the shoulder charge yet let this go on.
Last edited by sheer64 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nobull likes this post.
sheer64

Liked in: 22 posts

by GNR4LIFE » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Demonborger wrote:Overboard? Yes. But remember that something like that can cause immense damage for the code and that the media will love a sensational headline.

There is also a lot of legal issues that have never truly been resolved, the referees for instance could face criminal charges for breaching occupational health and safety by not calling held as the lifting began, so too for the Storm players in the tackle.

But would you be saying that if it were Woods, Fulton and Galloway? doubt it
GNR4LIFE

Liked in: 502 posts

by Nobull » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:07 pm

What about Cam Smith. There is a player in front of him who may not walk again and all he wanted to do was put his case to the ref. The ref had to send him away 4 times. The ref should have binned him. Or Mason should have dropped him.
Nobull

Liked in: 0 post

by Demonborger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm

I would. Once the spinal cord is severed then that's it for the players livelihood and life quality.
The game would lose sponsorship, viewers and participants and would completely retard the chances of expansion.

The fact that it was accidental is irrelevant, incompetent is enough already. . There are many jobs that don't allow for incompetent work practices that lead to dangerous results.

Life bans for players involved might be too great, but a 2-4 week ban would be pathetic...the actions were much worse than what Travis Burns did when he got that massive suspension..

Smith had a couple of reasonable queries but framed them it a ignorant and horrific manner...and added some more rubbish..
"Taupau is taking on everyone and winning"
Demonborger

Liked in: 16 posts

by Peaches » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:06 pm

It all seemed rather innocuous to me but sometimes in those instances are when it's the most damage. Take an ACL injury for example when a player steps and their knee just gives way. Here's hoping Alex is well and healthy.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Peaches

Liked in: 33 posts

by Black'n'White » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Firstly, I hope it looked much worse than it was and he is ok...

There were several lifts during the game, finally one of them ended in disaster, so I seriously hope they line up all occurances as part of the hearing and make a serious example of the perpetrators. The Storm have a track record of developing filthy tactics to win the ruck, and would hate to think that this is just a new incarnation, you could understand a one off lift as being an accident, but again it wasnt the only time it happened in the match.

Smith... well he is a germ, and i hope he is pulled aside and told to pull his head in, that was disgraceful and on public television. After that I will never feel compassion for that bloke if he is ever injured, rack it up to karma.

Nobull likes this post.
Black'n'White

Liked in: 167 posts

by simonthetiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Not a lot in the tackle....sheet sometimes happens
simonthetiger

Liked in: 100 posts

by innsaneink » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:23 am

Nobull wrote:What about Cam Smith. There is a player in front of him who may not walk again and all he wanted to do was put his case to the ref. The ref had to send him away 4 times. The ref should have binned him. Or Mason should have dropped him.

Yeh, showing his true lowlife cheating scumbag colours

He is a disgrace, and the whole media fawning over him is a disgrace, its a disgrace the RL community shove their collective heads up their Asses when it comes to him and conveniently forget the role he had in the Storm systematic cheating over several years - he should be ashamed of himself

I really hope mackinnon is OK....it looks very bad though
innsaneink

Liked in: 663 posts

by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 am

Nobull wrote:What about Cam Smith. There is a player in front of him who may not walk again and all he wanted to do was put his case to the ref. The ref had to send him away 4 times. The ref should have binned him. Or Mason should have dropped him.

What a ridiculous comment. Did you actually listen to what he said? What he did said has been shown to be right. Other "captains" including could learn a lot from a player who is able to string together a coherent sentence.

As a father of a son who has aspirations of a career in sport, Cameron Smith is a player I would hope he would look to as the bench mark.

Liked in: 16 posts

by TonytheTiger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:40 am

Guest wrote:

What a ridiculous comment. Did you actually listen to what he said? What he did said has been shown to be right. Other "captains" including could learn a lot from a player who is able to string together a coherent sentence.

As a father of a son who has aspirations of a career in sport, Cameron Smith is a player I would hope he would look to as the bench mark.

What a load of rubbish. They were nowhere near resuming play due to the severity of the injury and Cameron Smith is already partially blaming McKinnon for the way he fell. Give me a break! If he was such a decent human being then he would have forgotten about everything but the welfare of Alex. People seem to forget it was the exact same team who prematurely ended Jarrod McCracken's career with their dirty tactics in trying to slow the play the ball. Cameron Smith is a grub.

Nobull likes this post.
TonytheTiger

Liked in: 5 posts

by Pokies » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 am

Update from the knights on the injury

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news ... innon.html

Pokies

Liked in: 26 posts

by krissy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:04 am

Such a horrible injury.
It was sickening to watch.
I hope the NRL will take swift appropriate action.
My thoughts and prayers are with Alex, his family & team mates.
Fans of the game from every club are sending their love and support.

krissy

Liked in: 6 posts

by Cultured Bogan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:08 am

Guest wrote:

What does the bloke being articulate have to do with his actions? A bloke has just been dumped on his skull by his (Smith's) troops, instead of waiting for the refs and medical officials to do their thing, he repeatedly approaches the referee. He was only interested in pleading his case, and appeared to have little concern for the injured player. Poor form by Smith.

Hope McKinnon bounces back and takes the field again, but most importantly I hope he is able to live his life without impairment.
Balmain Tigers. Western Suburbs. 214 years of history One team with a single direction: Wests Tigers

It is better to live for one day as a tiger than to live a thousand years as a sheep - Tibetan Proverb

Nobull likes this post.
Cultured Bogan

Liked in: 241 posts

by GNR4LIFE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:20 am

If anyone thinks action will be taken against the tacklers i.e heavy fines or suspensions then you're living on another planet. Its Rugby League, accidents like this unfortunately happen. Even the commentators were saying McKinnon looked like he was trying to roll himself through but he stopped dead on his head. Not the Storm players fault, its not like they haf the goal of breaking the kids neck, although i'm sure some of you Storm haters would happily argue until you're blue in the face that that was their intent.
GNR4LIFE

Liked in: 502 posts

by king sirro » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 am

Pokies wrote:Update from the knights on the injury

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news ... innon.html

Not sure what hope not severing the spinal cord gives him, but fracturong c4 and c5 usually means he will have very minimal movement in his upper body. May be able to move his hands or just lift his elbows, but thats it. Shattering.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS
king sirro

Liked in: 182 posts

by Cultured Bogan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:44 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:If anyone thinks action will be taken against the tacklers i.e heavy fines or suspensions then you're living on another planet. Its Rugby League, accidents like this unfortunately happen. Even the commentators were saying McKinnon looked like he was trying to roll himself through but he stopped dead on his head. Not the Storm players fault, its not like they haf the goal of breaking the kids neck, although i'm sure some of you Storm haters would happily argue until you're blue in the face that that was their intent.

Agreed, you assume that risk by playing league in the first place.
Balmain Tigers. Western Suburbs. 214 years of history One team with a single direction: Wests Tigers

It is better to live for one day as a tiger than to live a thousand years as a sheep - Tibetan Proverb
Cultured Bogan

Liked in: 241 posts

by Newtown » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:46 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:If anyone thinks action will be taken against the tacklers i.e heavy fines or suspensions then you're living on another planet. Its Rugby League, accidents like this unfortunately happen. Even the commentators were saying McKinnon looked like he was trying to roll himself through but he stopped dead on his head. Not the Storm players fault, its not like they haf the goal of breaking the kids neck, although i'm sure some of you Storm haters would happily argue until you're blue in the face that that was their intent.

Completely agree. This was an accident. There were quite a number of similar tackles from both teams throughout last night's match. Don't let your bias against one club or player take over your emotions. At this stage Alex McKinnon's recovery should be foremost in your thoughts.
Newtown

Liked in: 181 posts

by simonthetiger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am

Omigod that is just awful news......when it happened he looked panicked and I didnt see him move his arms or legs just his head and he looked like he was gonna choke on his mouthguard and he wanted someone to take it out.....

Just awful.....hope the cord is ok.....
simonthetiger

Liked in: 100 posts

PreviousNext

Return to National Rugby League