Wests Tigers Forum A community of Wests Tigers fans

Benji Marshall v Fatty on the footy show

Wests Tigers Discussion

Members have more fun!
Join other fans to share news, opinions and excitement about all things Wests Tigers!
Click here to register and make this ad go away

by PYMBLEPETE » Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm

IMO it was pathetic.

His own newspaper column had questioned his form and whether the team would be worse off without him. And then when he is benched it is a soap opera. including of course hurt feelings or something like that. Cue spew.

I am so over this guy; just let him go. It half seemed from the interview that he wants to go. Maybe he can kiss and make up with Tim and they can hop across to the Warriors when Mat gets the boot.
PYMBLEPETE

Liked in: 26 posts

by happy tiger » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Happy have a little self respect. No-one else here thinks you're a DH.

Bud I'm not the one who is suggesting that Anasta should play 13

Anasta is the best option at 7

And 7 in todays game is far more important than your 13

Then your happy to play Blair at prop , but not at 13 Two positions which are almost identical in todays game barring the fact the 13 needs a touch more mobility

Your next comment had me suggesting he should play 80

Last season I was one of the first on here saying to stop playing him for 80

We do have a squad that can be far more competitive on field , but Potters seems to have another agenda
Wests Tigers Brothers in Arms forever
happy tiger

Liked in: 621 posts

by smeghead » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 pm

I don't watch TFS as it is rubbish.

The last player I recall talking up his brand was that Quade Cooper nonce.

He has the same issu of credibility slipping away as Benji seems to be developing.

Friday night football will likely see Benji overplay his hand and it will hurt the team if past form is any indicator
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Liked in: 88 posts

by BeeJay » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Off the top of my head and paraphrased.

angry he was benched, didn't want it to be played out in the media but potter was happy for it to take that course.
knew he just had to go out there and spark his team mates and help lift the team.

doesn't like the media spotlight and would rather just be in the background unnoticed.

not sure what is happening with contract extensions that's up to the board. He has told his manager he wants to focus on football for the next few weeks and hopefully the contract takes care of it self.

if the club don't want him he'll have to deal with it but he'd like to hopefully stay for life.

no issues with robbie, both competitve and try to lift each other, sometimes argue on field but it's nothing personal.

wasn't a ground breaking interview but benji seemed to be fairly honest and not his usual jovial self.
BeeJay

Liked in: 0 post

by Goose » Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm

people are harsh.
I've been dropped from teams far less important than an NRL team, and I was gutted, s little pissed at the coach and other then the people immediately involved no one else cared.
I can only imagine how disappointed Benji must be and then he has to have blokes in the streets rubbing it in his face.
He shows his disappointment and the fans bag him and label him a spoilt brat, if he smiled and ignores it people say he doesn't show respect for the jersey.
Benji is a real person trying his best and things aren't going his way, any one that has played any sport knows that feeling.
The other thing that annoys me is people assuming because he smiles after losing and is talking with opponents, that is being a good sport.
don't we all teach kids to play their best and win lose or draw to smile shake hands and be happy.
if you lose there is nothing that the fans find acceptable, and every game someone loses
Goose

Liked in: 81 posts

by happy tiger » Thu May 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Goose wrote:people are harsh.
I've been dropped from teams far less important than an NRL team, and I was gutted, s little pissed at the coach and other then the people immediately involved no one else cared.
I can only imagine how disappointed Benji must be and then he has to have blokes in the streets rubbing it in his face.
He shows his disappointment and the fans bag him and label him a spoilt brat, if he smiled and ignores it people say he doesn't show respect for the jersey.
Benji is a real person trying his best and things aren't going his way, any one that has played any sport knows that feeling.
The other thing that annoys me is people assuming because he smiles after losing and is talking with opponents, that is being a good sport.
don't we all teach kids to play their best and win lose or draw to smile shake hands and be happy.
if you lose there is nothing that the fans find acceptable, and every game someone loses

Yep try getting dumped from a side when you couldn't due to injuries get onto the playing track Benji for 2 seasons
Wests Tigers Brothers in Arms forever
happy tiger

Liked in: 621 posts

by smeghead » Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Goose wrote:if you lose there is nothing that the fans find acceptable, and every game someone loses

Not trotting out the same cliches year after year and repeating the same error s in kind year after year would be a good start.

I would rather he said nothing other then "I have to earn my starting spot back with hard work and good performances" That is all and I am happy. But no he buys into the media circus and then tries to deny it is something he actively gets involved with
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Winnipeg » Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 pm

smeghead wrote:
Goose wrote:if you lose there is nothing that the fans find acceptable, and every game someone loses

Not trotting out the same cliches year after year and repeating the same error s in kind year after year would be a good start.

I would rather he said nothing other then "I have to earn my starting spot back with hard work and good performances" That is all and I am happy. But no he buys into the media circus and then tries to deny it is something he actively gets involved with

Cept he gets paid to write articles and be on that tv show and I doubt they'd be happy with a 20 word article or 30 second interview
Winnipeg

Liked in: 14 posts

by Black'n'White » Thu May 23, 2013 10:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Black'n'White wrote:Happy have a little self respect. No-one else here thinks you're a DH.

Bud I'm not the one who is suggesting that Anasta should play 13

Anasta is the best option at 7

And 7 in todays game is far more important than your 13

Then your happy to play Blair at prop , but not at 13 Two positions which are almost identical in todays game barring the fact the 13 needs a touch more mobility

Your next comment had me suggesting he should play 80

Last season I was one of the first on here saying to stop playing him for 80

We do have a squad that can be far more competitive on field , but Potters seems to have another agenda

other thread if you want.... Im not suggesting Anasta at 13, just that Blair cannot do it on form, he should not be in the team on form. Have lemons, look for a lemonade recepie.
Black'n'White

Liked in: 159 posts

by smeghead » Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Winnipeg wrote:Cept he gets paid to write articles and be on that tv show and I doubt they'd be happy with a 20 word article or 30 second interview

Priorities are essential though.

Doing your main job and all that goes with it before your secondary commitments that only exist because of the first.

Which master does he serve?

I believe the great majority of the fan base is angry about the greater problem which Benji's performances in media over the last 12 months are merely a symptom of rather then just at Marshall
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Black'n'White » Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Exactly Smeg.

if I didnt have to listen to his fluff I may be inclined to believe he is working at his shortcomings on the park, but the way he sugar-coats the issues at hand or circum-navigates them all together even to feed his ego is a little hard to swallow.

And you do know what smeghead breaks down to dont you, apart from a character on Red Dwarf?
Black'n'White

Liked in: 159 posts

by Winnipeg » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm

smeghead wrote:
Winnipeg wrote:Cept he gets paid to write articles and be on that tv show and I doubt they'd be happy with a 20 word article or 30 second interview

Priorities are essential though.

Doing your main job and all that goes with it before your secondary commitments that only exist because of the first.

Which master does he serve?

I believe the great majority of the fan base is angry about the greater problem which Benji's performances in media over the last 12 months are merely a symptom of rather then just at Marshall

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree

It would be nice if all our players could concentrate 100% on footy

But it might be a case of the tigers only paying him so much, and his 3rd party deals being important in bringing his wage up to what he considers a fair price

And if he weren't doing the 3rd party stuff he might be thinking 'sod this I might as well be playing in Japan, getting the same wage but not speaking to the media cos II don't even speak the language'

I guess in a roundabout way, even though he's a tigers NRL player he probably considers media part of his job (not to mention setting him up for post NRL)
Winnipeg

by smeghead » Thu May 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Exactly Smeg.

if I didnt have to listen to his fluff I may be inclined to believe he is working at his shortcomings on the park, but the way he sugar-coats the issues at hand or circum-navigates them all together even to feed his ego is a little hard to swallow.

And you do know what smeghead breaks down to dont you, apart from a character on Red Dwarf?

In deep I do know
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by Tigerpete » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 am

I've not seen the interview and to be honest I don't really care to either. I do know this though, I've seen all the other interviews with Benji, the quotes and what not. Nothing I've seen is all that surprising. Here's a guy who's achieved a hell of a lot at WT's. He may well go down as the most talented tiger - ever! He's also this. He's honest, contrary to some opinions he's also humble. Yes, there's an air of arrogance but there's the same with Tiger Woods who too is a humble person. I love Benji's honesty. He's admitted he wasn't happy, that his pride was hurt but at the end of the day he respected Potter's decision and moved on. That's all I need to know. He moved on and will use it to fuel a return to form.
Tigerpete

Liked in: 7 posts

by LeichhardtTiger » Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 am

Saw the tea cosy interview - just so wrong. Vautin full face is ugly enough - then BM in a cardigan gangster hat! Why did BM bother? We need to start this season all over again!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.
LeichhardtTiger

Liked in: 6 posts

by Tbone » Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 am

I'm glad all of these issues with Benji have come to the fore at this time. Before the year is out and based on how he responds to this adversity, it will tell us whether we should be building the next few years around him or whether we cut him loose in the interests of rebuilding the team around others. Given his apparent asking salary, this decision will be critical to the mid term future of our beloved club.

Champions respond to difficult situations. Are you a true champion or will your career dwindle into a forgettable shamble? The balls in your court Benji. Good luck.
Tbone
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

by supercoach » Fri May 24, 2013 5:14 am

I would have thought Benji would have given the media a wide berth for a month and in that time, work his butt off and find some long lost form.

Tallis deserved some credit for actually backing Potter. I would love to see Benji bounce back to some form and resign for life,but I just cant see that happening,all his priorities are wrong
supercoach

Liked in: 135 posts

by hybrid_tiger » Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 am

Is there a link to watch this interview online?
hybrid_tiger

Liked in: 80 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Wests Tigers